Sunday 20 April 2014

Music Makes me Wanna...

...this intro could be answered a million ways. I love music there is no escaping it.
I have let Audio Junkies' "Music Makes me Wanna" inspire my post today, because it is the day after National Record Store Day, and that pleases me to no end.


I worked at HMV in the 90's, back when it was like running your own store, and I even saw it through the transition into the corporate faceless entity it is now. I left as a manager almost 10 years ago to go to Megatunes when it opened here in Edmonton. I see now that it was my way of leaving the industry, and I knew I wanted to leave in a place that still was all about the music. I needed to be around other music junkies, and it was a great, short lived, period for me. I am out of music retail all together now, but there are days where I would love to be in a store, stocking shelves, and chatting music with co-workers and customers.

I really hope you made an effort to shop yesterday. We have some really great local record stores with Permanent Records, Blackbyrd Myoozik and Listen Records. All had something special going on. If you didn't shop yesterday, make a point to do so in the next week or so. Support the independent retailer, it's not easy out there.

While I have your attention I thought I would review 4 records that are coming out this week.

Kelis - Food
I did not expect to like this as much as I did. She's come a long way from just being know for the Milkshake song. This album has a great throwback R&B vibe. I hope this propels her out of the 'one hit wonder' realm and into the world of established artist bringing full album greatness to the party. While there are a few lack lustre songs, for the most part this Kelis has crafted a great new album, definitely worth checking out.

Death - Death III
This new release is a collection of material from Detroit rock trio Death. Relatively unnoticed in the 70's when this band was active, their music recently resurfaced and along with it a renewed interest in the group, culminating in a 2012 documentary "A Band Called Death" (which I am now trying to find, to watch).
Honestly before hearing this album, and doing some research, I had no idea of this group existing. In fact based on the picture I had seen on-line, I assumed they were a new trio with a retro look.
There sound doesn't sound too outdated, in fact I found some of their stuff very reminiscent of TV on the Radio. I would recommend their Death III album, i enjoyed it from start to finish.

The Space Project - The Space Project
An interesting way to celebrate the 1977 NASA Voyager 1  & 2 space programs. Task 14 modern bands to explore the concept of the "harmony of spheres" and their own interpretation of space rock. For me, it wasn't cutting it. I like Beach House and Spiritualized, and groups like that, but this compilation was perhaps too out there (haha, a space pun). If you dig really sparse electronica with minimal vocals, you'll dig this. Me, I was not a fan. I linked you above to their Pitchfork review, as it gives some information on the tracks and contributors.

Various Artists - 'Farewell Transmission' the Music of Jason Molina
This tribute to Jason Molina is very true to the style and feel of Jason's work. A musician's musician, there is much reverence in this collection and you can tell great care was taken in choosing collaborators and their choice of tribute. Sarah Jaffe, Catherine Irwin, Wooden Wand and Jason's remaining band-mates from Magnolia Electric Co (fittingly changing their name to Memorial Electric Co) came together to creating a heart-felt tribute, that is serene and subtle. A fitting tribute.

Thanks for reading, I would love to hear feedback so please feel free.
Don't forget to support the local record stores.

Until next time

No comments:

Post a Comment